March 2, 2012

Introduction

About this Blog
In this blog I will cover many things about S. Korean courtesy. 

  • Confucianism 
  • Etiquette 
  • Manners
  • Acceptable behavior and In-acceptable behavior
  • Non-verbal communication
These are only a few and I will not be going over them in this exact order. Also many of these will overlap with one another.

About Me

Hello my name is Melonie, I am 27-years-old, and I love S. Korea. I first became interested in S. Korea around the age of 17 or 18. My Grandfather had recently found his S. Korean friend, Mr. Kim, from when he was in the Korean War. 
 
My Grandfathers platoon saved Mr. Kim, and gave him a job in their kitchen. During that time, my Grandfather taught Mr. Kim English and they soon became good friends. After the war ended they lost eachother for 50 years; until they finally found eachother again. 
 
Mr. Kim had visited once before, but he was coming again with some of his family. With him he brought his Daughter, Grandson, and Granddaughter. I became friends with them both, but I developed a much closer friendship with his Granddaughter. Since then, we have become the best of friends; we are so close that we even call eachother Sisters. 
 
Recently she came to study in America, but has found it difficult to adjust to college life.  I hope to help those in similar situations to better understand South Koreans. This way there will be less hurt feelings, it will be easier for Westerners to visit  S. Korea, and it will be easier for S. Koreans to visit Western countries.

1 comment:

  1. That's so sweet that your grandpa found Mr. Kim! Such a wonderful reunion after so long!
    Do you visit Mr. Kim and his family with your grandfather often? Vice-versa?
    I also love the goals you have in mind for your blog! So selfless and giving! I love culture and would love to study how we all come from different parts of the globe but can still get along if we try to listen.

    ReplyDelete