April 12, 2012

How to Greet someone in S. Korea

With my personal experience in S. Korea, normally it was not a problem how I greeted everyone. They were all understanding, knew I was a foreigner, and were very helpful. I don't think it would be a problem if you went to S. Korea and just greeted them like you normally would but like America there are a mixture different personality's. Some are more understanding then others and there is always a possibility you will run into those who are not. Please understand this is what I have learned personally and from my S. Korean friend.

1.)    Before greeting anyone at all you must understand the following...

  • Staring directly into someones eyes is not considered proper etiquette. In S. Korea it is considered to be rude, challenging(aggressive), and rebellious behavior. So if you are in trouble and they want you to tell the truth. Please do not do it like American's would and stare into their eyes while doing so. I am sure that you won't have to worry about this but like I have said before... there is a possibility that you might run into someone who isn't as understanding as others. Which will normally be very rare... I hope.
  • You do not have to greet them in Korean but it does help to know a little and it is a nice way to break the ice.

2.)    If you are in a normal setting you are going to ask and answer these questions mentally. This determines how you will greet this person and what you should do.
  •  Is this person someone you know or a stranger? 
  •  Is this person younger or older then you?
3.)  The greetings.

 This person is the same age or younger then you and you know them already you normally do the following. 
  • Walk up to them, just say "An-young(Hello)!" You may include their name, you can just shake their hand, or hug them. What ever you and this person are comfortable with. I normally say "An-young Seyoung!" and then give my friend a hug being we are so close. If you are not close to this person but still know them it may not be proper to hug them. But from my personal experience, outside the work place, once S. Koreans know your name you have already entered the relationship point of being a friend and are very friendly. I suggest letting them make the first move after you say hello if you are unsure of what to do after greeting them. Normally after a few times you easily figure out what kind of greeting your friend is comfortable with.
This person is older then you and you know them already a greeting similar to what is stated below would be alright. 
  • This greeting is similar to the one above but the only difference is how you speak to your elder. Always speak to your elders with respect, a simple bow of the head when you greet them, and if they want to shake your hand or hug you, let them decide. I think you normally greet them formally with "An-young Ha-sey-yo(Hello)." along with their name.  This is how I greeted my elders in Korea and so far no one has corrected me. So I am guessing that they are okay with it or understand that I am trying to be courteous despite being a foreigner.
This person is younger than you and you do not know them.
  • A simple "An-young." will do with a nod of the head. But if you are not sure if they may be older or not simply say "An-young Ha-sey-yo." just in case. I used this one when I met people on the street. They were very happy to hear me trying to speak to them in their own language and being we just met we normally did not shake hands. Unless by habit I held my hand out to shake theirs.
This person is your elder and you do not know them.
  • This greeting is exactly the same as the one above but of course you do not know their name. A simple nod of the head will be alright and let them take the lead on if they want to shake your hand or not. I never had a elder who was a stranger offer to shake my hand really unless I held out my hand out of habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment