April 24, 2012

Proper Gift Giving in S. Korea.

I have given my friend Seyoung and her family many gifts over the years. From my experience there is really no wrong way to give a gift here in S. Korea as a foreigner being everyone is very understanding. But if you wish to know about this information here it is!

  • Never give a gift wrapped in white or in a white bag. White is normally what S. Korean's wear to a funeral. Stick with bright colors and patterns or just solid colors other then white.
  • Stay away from multiples of 4 because the number 4 is considered unlucky. Which means don't give 4, 8, 12, and 16 items to someone.
  • If you are receiving a gift never open it in front of the person who gave it. Always ask before opening it if it is alright for you to do so in front of them.
  • Anything is acceptable as a gift. I have given Seyoung and her family things I have made. I have also given them things I have bought and they seemed to love anything I gave them. But try not to go overboard with the price because they will sometimes return the favor in appreciation for the gift. 
  • Do not give a gift just so you can get gifts in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment